Dispute logo



Southwest Justice Center Small Claims - Murrieta, CA

Courthouse in Riverside County, CA

Last updated at 2022-05-18T21:08:32.481Z

Important information

Courthouse info


30755D Auld Road, Murrieta CA 92563

Hours of operation

The Southwest Justice Center is open Monday through Friday, from 7:30 am to 2 pm. The Southwest Justice Center's Court Clerk's Office is also open from 7:30 am to 2 pm.

Court fees

Up to $100

Contact info

Clerk phone number

(951) 777-3147

Mailing Address

30755D Auld Road, Murrieta CA 92563

General info

Court website

Filing info

Average days to process

2-10 business days

Small claims info

Small claims website

How Do You Contact Riverside County Small Claims Court?

You can submit a ticket via their website. You have to include your name, email address, and phone number if you decide to contact them. The phone number you should call is 951-777-3147.

What Can You Sue For in a Small Claims Court?

You can sue for unpaid rent. Disputes between a landlord and a tenant about early lease termination and security deposits are two more common reasons for filing such lawsuits. You can also go through filing a lawsuit due to an automobile accident. You do have to keep in mind that you can only win $10,000 if you file the lawsuit in small claims court. You can sue for a variety of reasons and the main thing to keep in mind is that you can only be awarded $10,000 or less if you go to a small claims court.

What Other Locations Can You File A Lawsuit in Riverside Court?

You can file a small claims lawsuit at Banning Courthouse. Additionally, you can file it at the Small Claims department at Corona Courthouse. You can also file it at Hemet Courthouse and the Indio-Larson Justice Center. Moreno Valley Courthouse is another location where you can file a small claims lawsuit. You can also do so at Murrieta Southwest Justice Center and in Palm Springs Courthouse.

How Long Does It Take to File a Small Claims Lawsuit in Riverside Court?

The primary step in filing this lawsuit involves completing some paperwork, specifically a Plaintiff's Claim and Order to Go to Small Claims Court. This is also known as form SC-100. In general, it takes about a few days to file this type of lawsuit in Riverside County.

You can also use a small claims filing service to help you manage forms and deadlines. Often, people are too busy to handle the mailing and the filing process is complicated. So using an online small claims filing service may help this process be more manageable.

What Are The Costs Associated With Filing A Small Claims Lawsuit in Riverside County?

The initial fee for filing this suit depends on the amount of money you are suing for in the case. If it's between $1 and $1,500, the initial fee is $30. If it's between $1,501 and $5,000, the fee is $50. The serving costs vary from $15-100, although you can serve the suit for free.

If you sue for between $5,001 and $10,000, you have to pay a filing fee of $75. There are additional fees you may have to pay. Check this document for more information about those fees.

What Should You Expect in a Court Hearing?

The hearing for your case will be scheduled within 30-70 days after you file the suit. If the defendant lives in Riverside County, you have to serve them the lawsuit at least 15 days before the hearing. If they live outside of Riverside County, you must serve them the case at least 20 days before the hearing. You should expect to go through security, go to the courtroom, and find the courtroom hearing your case.

How Do You Prepare For Your Court Hearing?

It would help if you first did some thorough research on the law to argue your case effectively. It would help if you then prepared all of the evidence you have and prepared what to say during the hearing. Also, you should ensure that you have readied your receipts for costs.

Tell the judge you want to receive reimbursement for these costs. Additionally, you should print a sufficient amount of copies for all of your evidence. You should have a minimum of three copies of this paperwork: one for yourself, one for the opposition, and one for the judge.

FAQs about Small Claims Court

Q: How do you know if you should file the suit in small claims court?

A: The main consideration is how much money you can win. If you seek more than the maximum limit of small claims court, you should file the suit in another court. Of course, these limits vary by state.

Q: Can a lawyer come with you to small claims court?

A: This depends on the state. In California, you have to appear in small claims court by yourself. In other states, you can go with a lawyer. However, it is often not worth hiring a lawyer to accompany you to small claims court.

Helpful to know

Judge info

The judge presiding over small claims at the Southwest Justice Center is the Hon. Jeffrey Zimel. Judge Zimel was elected to the Superior Court of Riverside County in August 2020. He graduated form UC Hastings College of the Law. Before his election, he served as a deputy public defender in Riverside and Los Angeles Counties. He held a private practice specializing in criminal defense. Zimel was identified by Governor Newsom as a Democrat.

Parking info

A large parking lot is situated in front of the Southwest Justice Center. There are additional parking spots available in the surrounding area.

Busiest time

The busiest time of day at the Southwest Justice Center is from 9 am to 10 am.

Transit direction

The best way to reach the Southwest Justice Center via public transit is through the RTA bus  line. See here for up-to-date schedules, maps, and to plan your trip.

Driving direction

The Southwest Justice Center is located on Auld Road in Murrieta. The entrance to the building is in what appears to be the back of the building, facing away from Auld Road. The building houses three floors. Small claims are heard in department S101, on the first floor. Clerk's offices are also on the first floor. After entering and passing through security, a clerk will direct you to the appropriate department.

Food nearby

For coffee nearby the Southwest Justice Center, head to Starbucks on Benton Street. Quick food options include Pizza Factory, the French Valley Cafe, and Waba Grill.

Other courthouses in Riverside County

Riverside Historic Courthouse Small Claims - Riverside, CA

Related articles

How to find the right courthouse for your small claims case

Knowing where to file can be tough. Although you may be tempted to choose the courthouse closest to you, your case may not be accepted there.

· 5 min read