You may be filing in a California small claims court for any number of reasons. Maybe you are suing your landlord over a roach infestation or trying to get money back from a friend.

Whatever the case, you will come across various forms that you may need to use. One of those forms is the SC 134 form. This article will explain what that form is and where to find it.

What is an SC 134 Form?

The SC134 Form is described by the California Small Claims self-help webpage as a form that "asks the Small Claims court to tell a person who lost your Small Claims case to come to court to tell you about their job, what they own, and where they keep their money".

You may need this form is you are trying to collect on a judgment won from a previous small claims case. Typically, you must wait 30 days from the date the judgment was mailed to you. During this time, your defendant may:

  • Pay the judgment voluntarily
  • Ask the court for an installment plan •
  • File an appeal. (If this happens, you must wait until the appeal is decided.) •
  • Fill out and send you a Judgment Debtor's Statement of Assets (form SC-133).

That said if none of this happens, you can ask the court to order the debtor to go to a special hearing called a debtor’s examination. To do, you use the SC 134 form.

You can find the form on California' Selfhelp Small Claims website.

How does it work?

Follow these steps to complete your SC-134 form correctly:

  • Fill out form SC-134 (Application and Order to Produce Statement of Assets and to Appear for Examination). It comes in triplicates. Be prepared to fill out three copies.
  • • Fill out the top part of form SC-133 (Judgment Debtor's Statement of Assets).
  • If you want the debtor to bring financial records or information, fill out Form SC-107 (Subpoena duces tecum).
  • Take the forms to the court clerk where the small claim case was heard

If you have any further questions about collecting judgements, or filing small claims forms, please don't hesitate to reach out to us.