Can I sue my landlord for mold?

Yes, you can sue your landlord for mold, but you need to gather proof that you’ve notified them and they have neglected to fix the problem. Here are additional reasons to support your mold claim:

  • You have medical expenses that were uninsured or weren’t reimbursed now and in the future because of the mold exposure.
  • You have lost income because of being affected by mold.
  • You have unreimbursed costs from trying to get things fixed on your own.
  • You have mold-related damages to your property
  • Pain and suffering from exposure

Can I sue my landlord for asbestos exposure?

Yes. If you weren’t notified of the presence of asbestos when you signed the lease, the landlord is liable for exposure and damages. You will need to provide proof of the asbestos and demonstrate on your lease that you were not notified. The landlord can be held liable for medical expenses, any lost wages, pain and suffering, and loss of normalcy in everyday life.

Can I sue my landlord for harassment?

Yes, you can sue your landlord for harassment. If the landlord is attempting to use aggressive methods to intimidate or pressure you as a tenant, you have every right to take legal action.

You must show proof. Get proof of:

  1. Illegal entry without prior approval
  2. Cutting off included amenities
  3. Shutting off utilities
  4. Refusing to perform repairs and maintenance
  5. Changing the locks
  6. Removing possessions from the unit
  7. Raising the rent
  8. Verbal and physical threats
  9. Filing a fake eviction

Once you have proof of these issues, file a complaint in small claims court, unless the property removed is over a certain amount. Then it becomes a larger issue.

Can I sue my landlord for emotional distress?

If you have been living in substandard conditions and are suffering emotionally from it, you may be able to sue the landlord. You will have to show proof of the negligence and harm it has caused you. Landlords have a duty to their tenants regarding living conditions and harassment. When that has been breached, tenants are well within their rights to file a claim in small claims court.

Can I sue my landlord for shutting off utilities?

Yes. In most states, if your landlord has shut off your utilities or locked you out of your home, you may recover actual or consequential damages. You may also be entitled to rent up to three times the costs of monthly rent and additional costs, including attorney’s fees. You must prove that the landlord shut off the utilities and file a grievance in small claims court.

Can I sue my landlord for a rat infestation?

Yes. Your landlord is responsible for ensuring you move into a safe, livable space in exchange for a monthly rent. If there is a rat infestation, you are within your rights to demand they fix the problem. You must show evidence of the rat, including droppings, scratching noises, rub marks, holes and tunnels near the exterior. If you can get a picture of the rat, that will solidify your case. If the landlord refuses to fix the issue, file a complaint in small claims court. The court may grant monetary relief and damages so you can find a new place to live.

Can I sue my landlord after I move out?

It is not unheard of for tenants to sue their landlord after they have moved out when the landlord is trying to hold a security deposit or something else financial. You must prove that the landlord is liable for damages and illegally withholds your money. If the landlord holds your money, you can file a complaint in small claims court, along with your proof.

Can I sue my landlord for renting illegal apartment?

Yes. There are standard landlord-tenant laws in place to protect tenants. If an illegal apartment is rented to you, this could compromise your safety and financial position. If you rent without a lease or pay through a cash arrangement only, something may be fishy. If you find that your landlord is renting you an illegal apartment, gather evidence supporting your claim, and report them immediately. Next, file a complaint in small claims court for your protection, and return of the money you have already paid.