If you've been wronged, and have a complaint against Visa’s credit card services—maybe they’re overcharging you, or a salesperson misled you, or their service isn’t what they promised - you aren't without options. Visa has been sued in the past for anti-consumer practices by discouraging cheaper payment methods, and also for forcing unfair costs on small businesses.

And while hiring a lawyer, and taking a massive company like Visa (the largest provider of credit card services in the United States) to court seems daunting, there are cheaper, faster routes to justice. In fact, you may not even be allowed to initiate a civil lawsuit against Visa due to the contract you signed with them. But the exception to this rule is small claims court.

So now you want to know:

  • How do I contact Visa and make a formal complaint?
  • How do I sue Visa in small claims court?

What Can I Do to Contact Visa and Make a Complaint

If you are a Visa customer, you have several options for seeking out a solution to your dispute with the company's services:

  1. Provide Feedback - If the nature of the issue is minor, you may consider providing your feedback quickly and to a real person via their internal customer support team. You can reach them at 1 (800) 847-2911.
  2. File a Complaint - If you have a more serious question, you can contact Visa's Customer Service team. Remember to communicate plainly and calmly your issue. You can reach them by using their website.
  3. Use Social Media - Social Media can be a powerful tool to grab a large company's attention and have them prioritize solving your issue. You can contact Visa on social media in the following places:
    1. Twitter - @Visa
    2. Facebook - Visa
  4. Sue in Small Claims Court - Small Claims court is a fast, cheaper way to sue another person or company for money. Often, lawyers are not allowed (saving you money on representation) and many states let you sue for up to $10,000. A judge will hear out your argument, review your evidence and they can order the other party to compensate you.

How to Take Action in Small Claims

One of the most accessible legal forums is Small Claims Court, where you can sue a company or individual for up to $10,000 in most states without the need for a lawyer. Small Claims Court offers you the opportunity to explain your complaint to a judge who has the power to order the other party to pay you the money that is owed.

In addition, Small Claims Court has additional benefits for the layman seeking legal action:

  • Small Claims Court Processes and procedures are generally simpler to follow than other more formal courts
  • Small Claims Court Filings are cheaper than filing in other courts
  • Lawyers are not usually allowed in Small Claims Courts.
  • The process is fast. You can usually expect a hearing within 1-2 months after your filing.

Types of Lawsuits Against Visa Inc:

You may want to think about the reasons you considered suing Visa. In the past, people have sued for the following reasons:

  • Harassment - Repetitive phone calls, foul language, threats, and any other behavior used to annoy, abuse, or harass you can be considered creditor harassment.
  • Credit Report Errors - If a credit bureau, creditor, or someone else violates the Fair Credit Reporting Act, you can sue. Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), you have a right to the fair and accurate reporting of your credit information.
  • Illegal Debt Collection - Under the Debt Collection Rule, collectors are presumed to violate the law if they place a telephone call to you about a particular debt: More than seven times within a seven-day period, or. Within seven days after engaging in a phone conversation with you about a particular debt
  • Wage Garnishment - A party is entitled to legally garnish wages only when a garnishee, person owning the debt, actually owes money to a creditor. A creditor is also allowed to deduct money from a paycheck or bank account when the garnishee owns a beneficial interest in the property being garnished. When neither of the circumstance occur, it may be considered a wrongful wage garnishment.

How to Sue Visa Yourself

It's important to note that the process can vary from state to state. But typically, suing in small claims court involves the following:

  • Identify the Company and its Registered Agent: Knowing Visa's legal name and address will help you contact the right company. You can find this information on the Secretary of State's website where the company is incorporated. Identifying the registered agent will also help identify who you'll have to serve.
  • Write and Send a Demand Letter - Many courts ask that you send (and show proof) of a short, one-to-two-page formal request that lets the recipient know that they’ll face legal action if they don’t comply.
  • Fill Out the Court Forms - Each court has different forms required to file a case with them. Some states (such as California) have one form that covers the whole state, while others (such as Florida) have different forms depending on the location of the court. Don't forget you'll need to sign these forms and possibly have them notarized as well.
  • File the Forms with the Court - You'll need to either access their online portal or head to the courthouse directly to file your completed forms. Often, the court asks you to bring multiple copies so they can distribute the filing appropriately and they always charge some type of filing fee. The price of this fee varies ($25 - 400 depending upon the courthouse) and it can be awarded back to you if you win the case.
  • Serve the Defendant - If your case is accepted, most courthouses will ask that you "serve" the other party. This means you are notifying the defendant that a hearing is going to occur and the reason for it.
  • Attend your Hearing - After all that is said and done, you'll want to prepare for court and then attend your scheduled hearing where you'll present your case. Hopefully, the judge is empathetic toward your issue, and rules in your favor.

You may notice that even if filing in Small Claims Court is easier, it can take up a lot of your time. That's not to mention the time you may lose repeating a step or two if you accidentally do something wrong.

Whereas, if you use Dispute, you can generate a demand letter and small claims document within minutes from your phone or computer. We will connect you with the right forms from the courthouse you choose, and even file them on yovur behalf.

How to Sue Visa Using Dispute

Here’s how you can generate a small claims document with Dispute in a few easy steps:

1. Head to our website to access our software:

2. Click "Get Started" and choose the "Small Claims" service (or another if you'd like to start somewhere else).

3. Enter your case information including your info, the defendant's info and a summary of the issue.

4. Choose the courthouse where you want to file, answer their form's specific questions, and sign the document.

Now you're on your way to preparing and filing a case directly with the court. You have options and suing Visa after sending a demand letter is one that can be a fast, and easy way to get justice.