If you have a financial dispute with Planet Fitness regarding a refund, charges, or purchases, you could pursue legal action against the company by filing a case in small claims court.
This blog will explain the legal action you can take against Planet Fitness, a popular chain of fitness centers nationwide, and the steps you need to take to potentially win your case in court and receive a refund.
Common Reasons to Sue Planet Fitness in Small Claims Court
We often hear from people looking to sue various businesses including restaurants, retail stores, and, in this case, a fitness club such as Planet Fitness. Some of the most common reasons to sue Planet Fitness include:
- Failure to refund your account. Planet Fitness agreed to issue a refund but never did.
- Failure to cancel your membership. Your requested Planet Fitness to cancel your membership, but they never did. In most cases, Planet Fitness requires you to cancel your membership in person at one of their gyms. If you complied with their rules but were not issued a refund, you can consider taking your case to small claims court.
- Charges to your credit card or bank account. You canceled your membership at Planet Fitness but are still being charged monthly fees.
Filing a Case in Small Claims Court
Although you can file a claim in regular court, small claims court is usually the best choice if the amount owed is hundreds of dollars. The maximum amount of money you can receive in small claims court is usually $10,000 or less, but that varies from state to state. If you consider filing a lawsuit against Planet Fitness in small claims court, take the following steps:
Gather Any Necessary Evidence
The more evidence you can gather to support your case, the better. For example, if you received an email or letter claiming Planet Fitness canceled your account but you are still charging your monthly fees, print the email out as evidence. Also, print your bank statements that show the charges.
Write a Demand Letter
If you file your case against Planet Fitness case in small claims court, you are required to file a document called a demand letter. The demand letter should include the following information:
- Who you are
- How much money do you believe Planet Fitness owes you
- Why do you believe the defendant owes you money
- The address where Planet Fitness can send you the money
Give Planet Fitness 7 to 14 days to respond, and mention in the demand letter that you plan to file a lawsuit in small claims court if you don’t hear back.
File the Lawsuit
If Planet Fitness denies your request for a refund, or you are unable to work out a settlement, file your case in small claims court in the county where Planet Fitness is located.
If you do find yourself in the unfortunate scenario where you need to file a lawsuit against Planet Fitness to receive the money you believe you are entitled to, save yourself time, money, and hassle by generating your case online with a legal service such as getdispute.com. It takes just 10 minutes to start your case with getdispute.com
Depending on the service you choose, the professionals at getdispute.com can write and send the demand letter to Planet Fitness and generate all of the court paperwork online. Once the paperwork is generated, you can download it and file it directly with the courthouse. Usually, this can be done in person, online, or by mail. You can find more info by checking the court's website.
Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions.