Has Korean Airlines damaged your luggage, refused a refund, or bumped you off a scheduled flight because they overbooked it? Fear not. This guide will help you understand how to sue Korean Airlines in small claims court.

Common lawsuits against Korean Airlines

Small claims courts across the country can help you sue Korean Airlines for up to $10,000 (the maximum amount varies by state). Folks sue companies like Korean airlines for a variety of reasons. Here are a few common reasons:

  • Overbooked Flight
  • Lost, Damaged, or Delayed Baggage
  • Delayed or Cancelled Flight
  • Unethical Ticketing Practices
  • Refusal to Refund
  • Frequent Flyer Program Issues

Filing a Small Claim Against Korean Airlines

Identify their Registered Agent

In the United States, a registered agent is a business or individual designated to receive service of process when a business entity is a party in a legal action such as a lawsuit or summons. You'll want this information as the court will likely require you to serve the registered agent notice of the potential lawsuit. Korean Airlines does business officially under the name "KOREAN AIR LINES CO., LTD." and lists the following information as their registered agent:


6640 NW 22ND Street, BLDG 707

Suite #210 (SSZ/#212)

MIAMI, FL 33122

Send a Demand Letter

A demand letter is often required (by state law) before bringing your case to a small claims court. A demand letter is commonly known as a "notice of intent to sue." Many cases are resolved with a thorough, firmly worded demand letter. It's recommended to have the letter sent on professional letterhead.

Dispute can send a demand letter on your behalf (via USPS 2-day priority mail) in one business day. It's as simple as answering a few questions, reviewing the generated letter, and clicking "Send." It takes about 5 minutes of your time, and we'll utilize our letterhead and language to help get your point across.

After sending your demand letter, you'll want to file a statement of claim. This is the official state small claims form. For this form, you'll need the following information:

  1. The courthouse you’d like to file in
  2. Reason for the lawsuit
  3. Claim amount ($)
  4. Name and address of the person/business that is being sued

Because you are suing a business, you will need to look up the certificate of doing business. Make sure you fill out the form corresponding to the business's county and utilize the registered agent information discussed above.

Small claims forms can be complex. A simple mistake can prevent your case from filing successfully. Experts at Dispute successfully file paperwork daily. Check out our package options for filing with us - you can choose different services based on your budget and needs.

If there are no errors, you'll get your documents back from the court, likely with a date for a hearing.

Serve the Defendant

Once your claim is processed and approved, you’ll have to notify the defendant that you’re suing them in small claims court. Different courthouses have different rules when it comes to defendant service. Some require service through mail, while you may need to find a private process server for others.

Some courts require the defendant to “answer” the claim. Speak with your courthouse clerk about their rule. You may have to wait for the other party to file a response to your lawsuit before the court decides what to do next.

Preparing for Court

You can take a few steps when preparing for your day in court.

  1. Gather evidence
  2. Prepare witnesses, if you have any
  3. Dress appropriately
  4. Show up on time
  5. Present your Case

After you and the other party present your cases, the court will provide a ruling. The last step is collecting your money if you are fortunate and the judge rules in your favor.

Good luck with your case, and please contact us if you have any questions about our services.